Tuesday 1 January 2013

New Year Updates

I was hoping that this blog would work out a lot more regular than it is! But I thought that after the Christmas/New Year rush (and as some sneaky procrastination from revision for January exams) I'd post an update!

I've not been particularly focused on this over Christmas - I've tried to give myself a nice break from everything, and so this has taken a little of a backseat to sleeping, but I'm starting to get back into it now!

I've used Christmas as an opportunity to equip myself with anything that I think will help with motivating myself, and producing something half-decent, so as well as the obligatory posh notebooks and pens, I've had a few books that I'm hoping will get some creative juices flowing.

One that has been especially useful as nice little breaks from revision has been "The Five-Minute Writer", which does pretty much what it says on the tin. It's a book full of prompts and exercises, designed to last five-minutes, to try and get me writing. It's worked out well so far - I've had a few brainwaves while I've been doing some of the exercises - and I've not had to feel too guilty for taking 5 minutes out of work!

Another one, which is a bit more time-intensive, but is helping my actual writing technique more, is "101 Writing Prompts for Fantasy and Science Fiction Writers" which gives similar prompts but more extensive writing tasks. I've used one of the prompts and am about midway through writing a piece that I think is working out quite nicely. I'm hoping to publish the completed thing on here once I've finished - most likely in about 2 weeks (When I can finally forget about exams)!

I think it'll be useful to publish some of my writing online, and hopefully I can get some feedback on what I've written and I'm hoping that the whole process will just make me a better writer - and (hopefully) some positive feedback will be a good motivation as well!

Over the next month or so I'm also going to reveal a little bit about the plot. I've got the general idea sorted, but I'm just finalising how it's going to work at the minute, so as soon as it's pretty much decided I'll give a bit of an idea.

Another thing that I am going to consider over the next few months is about how I can make my book unique. My Dad mentioned this to me on Christmas Day, and it is something that I'd not necessarily thought about, but that could make a huge difference. I've got a few ideas about how it could work, and I'm gonna give it some more thought and discussion, but I'll write up a few of my ideas probably within the next week - just to test the water and see what people think!

I know this has been a bit of a mundane post, but my next few are definitely going to be a lot more interesting and forward-thinking - there's going to be some actual creative stuff going on!

No comments:

Post a Comment